Sunday, June 21, 2009

23 Things - Thing #2

Thing #2
My initial thoughts about web 2.0 are mixed. On the one hand it looks intriguing and exciting on the other it looks frustrating as there are many new terms and things to learn all at once. I was just beginning to embrace email and now texting and IMing are the in thing. Perspective is vital as we can view these changes as opportunities and challenges for growth or as ways we are being left behind.
The new tools in web 2.0 will change the practice of teaching as we know it. Teachers will need to embrace these tools in order to meet today’s child where he/she is. Today’s learners are no longer engaged by single dimensional activities. Today’s learners are immersed in a 3 dimensional, fully portable multimedia world. They are not only consumers but creators of it’s content. If we are to engage them in learning we must embrace this world. We must teach learners to be thinkers and problem solvers. It is no longer an option to memorize facts to learn things. The body of knowledge is growing at a never before matched pace. We must teach children to use resources to find answers or possible solutions to problems. I see many opportunities for even my kindergarten and PPCD students to use web 2.0 tools such as podcasting, and photo/video sharing. I also see many ways to share with parents and collegues using wikis and blogs.

1 comments:

summertime said...

I am right with you about all the new terms. I am about as computer illiterate as you can get and this all seems very overwhelming to me. I am relying a lot on the help of my own teenage children to help me get through this class. I was very happy that the introduction to this class made it very clear that we could enlist the help of friends and relatives because I would be lost without it. The only other problem has been getting them to slow down and TEACH me how to do the things instead of just DOING them for me. I really want to learn about the items that we are being taught. Kids today can just zip right through all of this. It is second nature to them. But, I have already learned about several things that I knew nothing about before. Hang in there!